Dec 2, 2006

Eiffel Tower at Sunset from Ponte Alexandre III


On my last evening in Paris I walked the left and right banks of the Seine, keeping the Eiffel Tower in view at all times and strolling without much direction. When the sun began to set, I positioned myself on the right side of Pont Alexandre III, the most ornate bridge that crosses the Seine. Three of us and several pigeons watched in silence as the sun slipped behind the horizon.





Without warning and just before daylight disappeared the Eiffel Tower lit up. It was an awesome and moving experience, yet somehow festive at the same time. I took in the sight of the sparkling tower for 20 minutes, noting the scent of the Seine, the slight tremors of the tour boats and barges passing underneath the bridge, and the whooshing sound of Parisian traffic as it rushed by. When the light show ended I meandered to the Latin Quarter for an evening meal. This time the image of Notre Dame Cathedral kept me company, completing a perfect night.
Click on the You Tube link to see an 8-second video of the Eiffel Tower. It's not long but the tower is filmed on its side. This 36-second Eiffel Tower web cam shows the tower lit up toward the end of the clip.

No comments: