Jun 8, 2007

Unlimited Text Messaging? Great Idea

Funny commercial, right?


The plan is a lifesaver if you're the parents of Sofia Rubenstein, 17. Her incessant text-messaging racked up a huge phone bill on the family's wireless plan- to the tune of 6,807 messages - which, at the rate of 15 cents apiece put the family's bill to more than $1,100 for the month.

"It's whatever pops into my head. There's no stopping it," she said. "Sometimes I'll be on the phone with someone and I get texted, and then I'm having two conversations at once."

Sofia knew she'd been texting a lot but couldn't believe the "incredible" number she hit. "I just thought, oh my God, my life is over," she said.


Frankly, I'm amazed she's still alive to talk about it. Or should I say, text about it. You can read the rest of this modern story in this Washington Postarticle.

3 comments:

BigAssBelle said...

There's no stopping it," she said. "Sometimes I'll be on the phone with someone and I get texted, and then I'm having two conversations at once."

Here I go again with the conspiracy theories, but I think the whole text messaging craze was purposely manufactured by the cell phone people to increase profits of this very kind. This crazy bill for text messaging is just the kind of thing folks used to have on their cell phones, before the unlimited minute plans. Since that's pretty much been resolved, where's the extra $$ going to come from? Text messaging! And I can't count the people I've talked to who thought it was free and found out it wasn't.

ugh. cell phones. technology. i am increasingly a Luddite.

Linda Merrill said...

I just have to wonder how her parents or teachers didn't notice she was texting so much. That's like 3.5 hours each day, if each message takes averages a minute. Parents can't kill her tho, they need to put her to work to pay off the bill!

Linda Merrill said...

I just read the article. Is it just me or are the parents more concerned about money than they are about their kids spending hours texting back and forth with friends - even when they are in the same room? I love technology - like being able to read emails on my cell phone. But this seems pretty absurd. Plus, when the kids develop debilitating carpal tunnel, they will wonder what happened.